Pennsville was once known as Newhartsville. The name of Pennsville honored William Penn and his family.
Pennsville was once known as Newhartsville. The name of Pennsville honored William Penn and his family. A gristmill was located in an area which became known as Indian Trail Park. The Park included an amusement park with a swimming pool, a penny arcade, a campsite , a dance pavillion, a carousel and a restaurant. William Solliday purchased the property, which became Indian Trail Park, from James and Mary Hower on May 15, 1929. Today, the Lehigh Township Historical Society occupies the property of the former restaurant known as "The Trading Post". The Pennsville Hotel, along Route 248, originally a stagecoach stop, is still in operation today. The Harmony Grange was a schoolhouse, then in 1916 it was used as a social gathering place for area farmers and their families and is still standing today. East of Pennsville is Petersville which was also known as Peterfield, Kernville and Kersville. Around 1805 Peter Miller and Nicholas Kern opened a gristmill there. A post office was opened there in 1836 but closed in 1908. At various times the village had a hotel, a blacksmith shop, a creamery and a general store. Another area just northwest of Pennsville was named Pomfret, named for Thomas Penn's father-in-law the Earl of Pomfret. The name passed out of use in the early 1900s.